Thursday, January 13, 2011

Books I Love – The Replacement by Brenna Yavanoff

I’m not a book review blogger, but I read a lot of books (like 3 or 4 a week). Sometimes I read books that I love so much I need to share. Don’t be surprised if these are mostly YA fantasy, but what can I say, the heart wants what it wants. Although I’ve read many books that I love, I’m only going to post ones going from this point forward, so the “Books I Love” posts may be sporadic. Okay, enough explaining, on with the book.




Mackie Doyle seems like everyone else in the perfect little town of Gentry, but he is living with a fatal secret – he is a Replacement, left in the crib of a human baby sixteen years ago. Now the creatures under the hill want him back, and Mackie must decide where he really belongs and what he really wants.

A month ago, Mackie might have told them to buzz off. But now, with a budding relationship with tough, wounded, beautiful Tate, Mackie has too much to lose. Will love finally make him worthy of the human world?

There’s been a lot of hype about this book, mostly about the cover (which I think is one of the best of 2010) but it received mixed reviews. A few people thought the pacing was slow. I thought it was perfect. You are given this strange character in an odd situation and I was drawn immediately into his world. I wanted to know what happened next and finished the book in three hours.

It’s also a relief to read a YA book where the main character is male. There’s a huge emphasis on music, and yes, every teenage boy I have ever known has been a music snob. I loved the character interactions, as well as the feeling you get for the town they live in.

Has anyone else read this? Love it? Hate it?

Back next week with a query critique on Monday and more posts on critique groups.

17 comments:

  1. I still have gift cards left over from Christmas. Now I know what to download.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is still in my To Read pile !! I can't wait to start reading it !! It seems awesome ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. An interesting book and a really good cover! It is in my TBR list but I haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read it and I had mixed emotions about it. Some things I really loved, like the music and the relationship he had with his sister. I also loved that it was a male MC, but it felt to me somehow a bit incomplete, like there was something I was missing or didn't pick up on. Overall, I do want to reread it so I can make a clearer recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read it yet, but it is definitely on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read this yet, but I've heard really good things about it. Thanks for sharing your opinion with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for stopping by my blog and becoming a follower! I have heard many things about this book...Thanks for your opinion!
    New follower :)

    -Lulu the Bookaddict
    www.lulu-bookaddict.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's in my pile I just have been hesitant to pick it up! My hopes are high for it and I'm afraid but after reading what you had to say I feel a LOT better about it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes I've read it. I found it cool and creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoa! I would love to read a new YA book from a male point of view. So often boys in my class want to read, but they can never find something to interest them. They think most of the books have too much "girl stuff." Thanks for the book! I will ask the librarian if she can order it! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read it. My friends have given it mixed reviews. I will be giving it a read, I like that it is from a male's pov :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. May need to be one for my book pile! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for dropping by my blog! I haven't read this one yet but it looks creepy (in a good kind of way) and I've heard some positive things about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for stopping by. I love the cover for The Replacement but haven't read it yet unfortunately. I'm looking forward to reading it sometime this year though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have an award for you on my blog

    ReplyDelete
  16. Seems I'm not the only one bearing and award, but, congratulations, I have deemed you a very stylish blogger! To participate, check out the link to my post for details: http://republicoflions.blogspot.com/2011/01/i-am-stylish-blogger.html

    Keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete